[X4U] mail still fried

Jeffrey Stormshak jsstormshak at comcast.net
Mon May 23 11:13:19 PDT 2005

Mitchell -
I've experience this same problem for several days in a row and at
that point used "nmap" to scan my ISP for the POP3 Port of 110.  I've
noticed that the Comcast (ISP Provider) didn't have that Port Open
which indicated to me that the "mail.comcast.net" Service for POP
wasn't listening on that Port.  NOTE: I've been using their POP
Service for several years prior to this problem.  Even tried another
Email Client with the same outcome as well (Entrouage).

After (2) days of watching for it, it finally display as an Active
Port and it hasn't gone "off-line" since.  In my area (Chicago)
Comcast has a large Service based and its not uncommon for their Mail
Services to go down from time to time.  It just didn't happen for
such a long time that I initially though it was my Email Client or
network settings.

I would contact your ISP to have them look into their Mail Server or
perform said Scan using either "nmap" or Apple's Network Utility's
Port Scan App to determine if the Port is up and available.

Hope this helps!
J.