[X4U] OT-backup suggestions for a business

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Tue May 24 13:35:54 PDT 2005

>From: keithw <keith_w at dslextreme.com>
>Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>  The fireproof safe you mention really won't do anything for the
>>  backups other than provide security.  If there is a fire, any backup
>>  media in the safe is toast.
>
>Never thought of it, because I don't have that need... but ~ you're
>right. As I recall, "fireproof" safe technology stopped at making sure
>the inside of the safe didn't get quite as hot as the ignition
>temperature of paper (something around 400 deg. F, as I recall) over
>some period of time.
>I suppose all recording media would indeed be compromised at those
>temperatures.
>
>Seems to me the best bet for saving "calamity" copies would be a bank
>safe deposit scheme.
>
>keith whaley

What you want is a datasafe - a firesafe that is suitable for data
and guaranteed to keep the inside temperature safe for magnetic media
for at least an hour while the outside is very hot.  All the big safe
companies make them, but they're a lot more expensive than plain
firesafes.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk