[X4U] Format Mac an PC

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Wed May 25 04:22:37 PDT 2005

On May 25, 2005, at 02:27, Stroller wrote:

> On May 24, 2005, at 5:58 pm, Alex wrote:
>>
>> DOS and HFS+ partitions on the same physical disk is not an option
>> supported by the Mac OS.
>
> I think you mean "is not an option supported by Disk Utility", in
> Panther, at least.

No, I mean what I said.

>> I've come across a hack that's supposed to allow it
>> <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030613121738812>
>
> I absolutely fail to see how using the command-line to achieve the
> desired results is a "hack".

That's because you're trying to see something that ain't there. No-one
said it was a hack because it used the CLI.

FOLDOC:
    "hack: <jargon> 1. Originally, a quick job that produces what is
     needed, but not well. 2.  An incredibly good, and perhaps very
     time-consuming, piece of work that produces exactly what is
     needed. [...]"

Wikipedia:
    "Over time [...] it came to mean either a kludge, or the
     opposite of a kludge, as in a clever or elegant solution to a
     difficult problem. [...] The initial hacker community at MIT
     [...] applied this pre-existing local slang to computer
     programming, producing the variant which first came into common
     use outside MIT. A 'hack' now meant a quick fix to a computer
     program problem. [...] The term has since acquired an additional
     and now more common meaning [...] a program that (sometimes
     illegally) modifies another program, [...] giving the user
     access to features otherwise inaccessible to them. [...]"

<0x0192>