[X4U] why Tiger?

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Wed May 25 15:47:58 PDT 2005

I am curious as to why there seem to be many X users that, excuse the
expression, blindly leap into the next incarnation of OS X even if it
does not appear to be a step forward? Such as Tiger. What exactly is it
that Tiger is supposed to accomplish as far as moving forward with a
fast, sleek, secure operating system? I have reviewed the "features"
offered by Tiger, and I fail to see any significant improvement in
performance. In fact, all I see is some "gussy-ing up" with
knick-knacks that seem to only serve to bog down the OS and the user
experience. What am I missing?
My concern is that if we Mac users blindly jump on sub-par updates,
that is all we will get. I think the Mac world would be better served,
and that Apple's future would be better secured if we are a little more
particular about what we accept as upgrades to our Mac operating
systems.
I liked Jaguar, and I like Panther better than Jaguar. Does any Tiger
user like it better than they liked Panther? Why?

This is not intended as a rant, rather, it is put forward as concerned
discussion. Please address it as such. Thanks.

Regards,

Wayne Clodfelter
wayne at troutnc.com