[X4U] Using external HDD

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Wed May 25 15:54:59 PDT 2005

On May 25, 2005, at 18:41, DZ-Jay wrote:

> I bought a new external HDD [...] My internal drive is 80GB and my new
> external one is 160GB.  Is there a "recommended" way of partioning the
> drive?

No.

> Should I move my Home directory to the new drive

Not difficult to do, but I don't think it's a good idea. You could run
into all sorts of obscure issues (e.g., MS Office X had strange quirks
if ~ was not on the boot drive). Here's what I'd do: Keep the internal
drive as boot device, and keep the home folder on it. Create two
partitions on the external drive. Use one to mirror the boot volume.
Use the other to store the big items -- the iTunes music folder, iPhoto
library, iMovie projects, etc. -- that used to be in your home
directory. This way, you should be able to boot from the external drive
if anything goes wrong with the internal, and have enough space to play
with.

<0x0192>