[X4U] why Tiger?

keithw keith_w at dslextreme.com
Wed May 25 17:02:52 PDT 2005

Mark Gibson wrote:

> At 6:47 PM -0400 25/5/05, Wayne Clodfelter wrote:
>
>> I am curious as to why there seem to be many X users that, excuse the
>> expression, blindly leap into the next incarnation of OS X even if it
>> does not appear to be a step forward? Such as Tiger. What exactly is
>> it that Tiger is supposed to accomplish as far as moving forward with
>> a fast, sleek, secure operating system? I have reviewed the "features"
>> offered by Tiger, and I fail to see any significant improvement in
>> performance. In fact, all I see is some "gussy-ing up" with
>> knick-knacks that seem to only serve to bog down the OS and the user
>> experience. What am I missing?
>> My concern is that if we Mac users blindly jump on sub-par updates,
>> that is all we will get. I think the Mac world would be better served,
>> and that Apple's future would be better secured if we are a little
>> more particular about what we accept as upgrades to our Mac operating
>> systems.
>> I liked Jaguar, and I like Panther better than Jaguar. Does any Tiger
>> user like it better than they liked Panther? Why?
>>
>> This is not intended as a rant, rather, it is put forward as concerned
>> discussion. Please address it as such. Thanks.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Wayne Clodfelter
>> wayne at troutnc.com
>

> Wayne,

Since I systematically delete anything having to do with iChat and
various other methods of "sharing" my precious, non-restorable time and
especially computer equipment and it's files with anyone else, I see no
benefit whatsoever in invoking OS10.4.

iChat and any other kind of Instant Messaging is little more than a
new version of Citizen's Band radio! Enough to make one gag!

Allowing "sharing" or "networking" when one doesn't have to, to make a
living at it, is the worst kind of folly! In my most humble and totally
personal opinion, of course.

My truthspeaking in this regard is likely to get me kicked off the list,
if past experience is any indicator. I guess moderators and list owners
of Mac-oriented lists really detest anyone putting down any aspect of
Apple or Mac industrial efforts, in any form whatsoever.

keith whaley
Mac user since 1986...

P.S. Hi, Mark...  ;-)

> Well personally the three things on the client side that sold me were:
>
> 1. iChat's expanded feature set. I have several clients who are already
> saving money with the 4 way video conferencing option.
>
> 2. Spotlight. Allows clients to search drives quickly for data that
> might not be otherwise easily found.
>
> 3. Automator (AppleScript on steriods). Which lets some of my clients
> easily automate workflows without getting bogged down with AppleScript
> coding.
>
> On the Server side:
>
> 1. ACL's which let you fine tune who gets access to what.
>
> 2. Software Update server. Which saves bandwidth because you only
> download the update once rather than once per machine.
>
> 3. iChat server.
>
> I think those updates outweigh the work involved in the transition from
> Panther to Tiger (I prefer the erase and install route - which requires
> backup but is a lot smoother in the long run) and having to wait for
> some products to release "Tiger ready" versions.
__

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198