[X4U] why Tiger?

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 25 19:31:51 PDT 2005

At 6:59 PM -0700 25/5/05, keithw wrote:
>Bill Fox wrote:
>
>>Tell that to parents whose kids or grandchildren or other
>>loved-ones  are across the country or across the world. I know many
>>who have  switched to Macs for only this reason after I demoed
>>iChat/iSight to  them.
>>
>>-Bill
>
>Hi Bill,
>
>Different stokes for different folks.
>
>My time is far too valuable to me, to spend it chatting with other
>acquaintances who have nothing better to do than talk to their
>friends in real time, alal day long!
>For me, it's an interruption I'd rather not have.
>My workday is mostly intense and directed at the task at hand.
>To have the CPU dinging all the time because someone wants to "chat"
>is a disruption, and eventually nothing but an annoyance...
>
>During the very early mornings or the evenings, I answer emails in
>real time. During the day, I save them.
>I prefer it that way.
>I know others would just LOVE to have their boring days interrupted.
>I don't have boring days...
>
>And so it goes! Thankfully, we all have a choice! Great, isn't it?
>
>keith whaley
>
>>On May 25, 2005, at 5:02 PM, keithw wrote:
>>
>>>iChat and any other kind of Instant Messaging is little more than a
>>>new version of Citizen's Band radio! Enough to make one gag!

I agree that mindless "ichatting" isn't too productive. My clients
use it for other reasons though.

Take just one as an example. Prior to iChat one client flew someone
from Sydney Aust to San Diego CA every six weeks to maintain contact.

Now they have an G5 iMac in the San Diego office with an iSight and
achieve the same thing without leaving Sydney. With 10.4.1 they can
now have a 4 way video chat or up to 10 people on an audio conference
call.

They have re-couped the cost of the iMac in less than a couple of
months due to savings in airfares and hotel rooms.
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. --
Unknown