[X4U] why Tiger?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed May 25 22:36:21 PDT 2005

Wayne Clodfelter said:

>What made me think Tiger may be sub-par? Nothing really except what I
>read on Apple's site. All kinds of added goobers but no real discussion
>that I saw that would make me think that Tiger actually outperformed
>Panther in operating the system, ie, more powerful finder, faster
>finder, faster app launching, faster disk I/O, more efficient memory
>management, etc. That's all. I kinda thought if Apple could have said
>that, they would have.

They did!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/opengl/

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/h264/

Though Apple did so by touting the new technology in Tiger, and its
speed, without making statements about how "Tiger is faster."  My guess
is that Apple didn't come out and say that Tiger is faster because the
speed improvement depends on what sort of hardware you are using.  Some
folks might be disappointed if they bought Tiger for the performance
improvement for their older Mac, and the performance improvement was
small.

Randy B. Singer

Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went
nuts. - Steven Wright