[X4U] FireWire vs. USB 2.0

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Thu May 26 04:01:45 PDT 2005

dZ,

Even though USB 2.0 has 480 Mbps  transfer rates, that is a
theoretical maxiumum.  This speed is hampered by the need of the CPU
to manage the transfer.  In small file transfers, you'll probably
never notice the difference between USB 2.0 and FireWire 400 (which
does not require CPU intervention - the controller handles the
transfers).  But as the data transfers get larger and larger, you'll
really start to notice the difference.
Try it for yourself.  Copy 2 GB of the same data into two different
folders on your drive and time it.  Then post back your results.  My
own experience (and that of many others) should confirm that FW400 is
faster that USB 2.0 (480 Mbps).  As far as I know, there is no
reliability issue with USB 2.0 or Firewire.

  On May 26, 2005, at 6:38 AM, DZ-Jay wrote:

> Quick question:  Which is faster/more reliable/better, FireWire or
> USB 2.0.  My new external drive comes with an option for both.  At
> the moment, I'm using it with FireWire -- but this decision was
> highly unscientific, as it was based solely on "FireWire" sounding
> much cooler than "USB 2.0" :)

Peter

A little computer haiku:
I can't remember
the last time I restarted
I love OS X

This message sent with Mail.app 2.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.1
pkrug at mac.com