[X4U] FireWire vs. USB 2.0

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu May 26 11:04:08 PDT 2005

DZ-Jay said:

>Quick question:  Which is faster/more reliable/better, FireWire or USB
>2.0.  My new external drive comes with an option for both.  At the
>moment, I'm using it with FireWire -- but this decision was highly
>unscientific, as it was based solely on "FireWire" sounding much cooler
>than "USB 2.0" :)

On a Macintosh, at least using built-in USB 2.0 on the most recent Macs,
USB 2.0 is about half the speed of FireWire and also about half the speed
of USB 2.0 running on a Windows PC.  Some folks have gone so far as to
accuse Apple of purposely crippling USB 2.0 on the Macintosh.

See the note at the bottom of:
http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action.lasso?-database=faq.fp3&-layout=FaqLis
t&-response=answer.faq.lasso&-recordID=33290&-search

Also see:
http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

I have no idea how well USB 2.0 works if you have an added USB 2.0 PCI
card.  But it seems to me that it be best to go with FireWire instead of
USB 2.0.

Interestingly, from what I've read, FireWire on a PC is about half the
speed of FireWire on a Macintosh.  With folks accusing Microsoft of
crippling FireWire on the PC.

Another issue comes to mind.  Can one boot from a USB 2.0 drive?  Apple
has never supported booting from a USB 1.1 drive:

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html