[X4U] Re:Installing AppleWorks in Tiger

kp phlbrck at gmail.com
Thu May 26 12:06:05 PDT 2005

After clean install of 10.4.1 I am having an awful time getting AppleWorks to run.

After using (only) its basic installer, upon launch   there are several seconds of black & white wheel followed by ten or more seconds of pizza wheel. Thereafter I can open a word sheet and type for a few minutes, however, as soon as I do anything requiring effort like changing font size its back we go to spinning pizza.

I have installed both updaters, but they do not help. I have removed preferences (see below) and relaunched to no avail.

This is a partitioned disk with over 30G of free space in the 10.4 volume. Two other partitions (9 and 10.3.9) contain AW and they work fine.

I have installed and removed several times running permission repair before and after. Also, this volume checks fine with Disk Utility and Disk Warrior.

Other than a Logitech driver for keyboard and mouse, there are no other additions to 10.4 at this time. The AW installer log does not appear to contain any abnormalities. However I note in 10.3.9 there is an additional user pref  "com.apple.appleworks.plist" which does not appear in 10.4.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Philbrick
iMac G3-600/80G/768MB