[X4U] Monitoring of logins?

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Thu May 26 12:52:37 PDT 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 09:25, Jesse Leo wrote:

> way monitor the date and time a certain user logs
> into a Mac OSX computer? Note that this is NOT running OSX Server,
> just
> Panther.

I'd use the 'last' command in Terminal.  Typing it by itself will
show all records since the logs were rotated.  If you want to know
the info about a specific person, then type 'last username' (no
quotes).  However, if the user hasn't logged in since the logs were
rotated, last won't be at all helpful.

> Along the same vein, is there any way to check file access
> information (who
> accessed what and when)?

If you want to get really serious (and busy with the CLI), you could
run Tripwire.  ^_^  There is an OS X port available.  I haven't
installed this on my Mac yet, but I plan to, just to see what those
Apple updates _really_ mess with.  I do run in on linux systems.
More info on the Mac OS X port at <http://www.macguru.net/~frodo/
Tripwire-osx.html>

--
gretchen