[X4U] VNC through router

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Fri May 27 18:31:11 PDT 2005

John,

In Chicken of the VNC, try using the host name instead of a specific
IP address.  If you can connect to the router via ethernet, or if it
is wireless, wirelessly, then in the "Host" area, enter the computer
name of the computer that is running the server followed by .local.
For example, my iMac is named "iMac" in the Sharing tab on System
prefs.  I'm connecting to the iMac, which is running OSXVNC, via
Airport at the moment.  So I type

iMac.local

into the Host area, give my password, and connect.

I believe that if your router is set up properly, it will allow you
to connect this way whether it is a wired or wireless router.  If you
can't connect, then it's probably a port-forwarding issue, tho it
sounds like the port 5900 is the right one.  Some routers call these
"virtual servers" I think, or port forwarding.

If you can connect by listing the host name, but then can't when you
enter an IP, I suspect that you may be entering the IP assigned via
DHCP by the router.  Try finding the router's External IP address and
try connecting to that.

Michael