[X4U] Tiger: random kernel panics

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Sat May 28 15:12:47 PDT 2005

On May 28, 2005, at 17:50, Alex wrote:

> On May 28, 2005, at 12:34, DZ-Jay wrote:
>
>> [...] a new iMac that seems to give sporadic kernel panics while
>> connected to the Internet. [...] Its only while connected to the
>> Internet (sometimes even just right after connecting), and the
>> panic.log always says something about 'com.apple.nke.ppp'.
>
> That's the PPP network kernel extension, so it's not a surprise. I'd
> make sure if the modem is set up correctly, and if the PPP settings
> are what the ISP requires.

I don't know what it is that you suggest I should check.  There is not
much there to "set up":  The modem drivers are the ones that came setup
by Apple, all the PPP settings are left as "default", and my other
computer (a MacMini), doesn't seem to have any problems, and its
configured the same way.  The main difference is that it is running
Panther, while the iMac with the problem is running Tiger.

I should note that I reinstalled the OS, and this time I didn't install
the 10.4.1 update and it has been stable all day.  Maybe it could be an
issue with that update?

	dZ.

--
On a clear disk, you can seek forever.