[X4U] Salvaging Sawtooth G4

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sat Nov 5 05:53:08 PST 2005

On 11/4/05 4:57 AM, "Stroller" <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> The graphics
> card on my MDD had an extension to the AGP connectors which made it
> non-standard, however, and that certainly wouldn't fit in any other
> machine.

I removed the video card from the MDD G4 and discovered exactly that. I'm
told the extra pins supply power and USB connectivity to the ADC connector.

> I'm not sure from you description what kind of connector you're
> referring to - I've ever encountered a graphics cable that carried 110v
> or 240v between the PC & monitor, and my Goggling suggests that the
> Studio Display uses the ADC connector.

Well, the ADC carries power between CPU and monitor, as well as USB. The
power probably ISN'T 110v or 240v a/c now that I think about it - after all,
it comes from the motherboard - but the displays with an integrated ADC
cable require power somehow. Apple's ADC<->DVI adapter is apparently the
ticket, but it's $100 - way too pricey for me to buy one just for some
diagnostics work!

Jim Robertson