[X4U] OSX Spyware Detector?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Nov 15 20:21:58 PST 2005

Rad Craig said:

>Is there any software for OSX that can detect or find out if anyone
>has installed a keylogger or other spyware/monitoring software on my
>computer?  Or is there a better way to detect it or be alerted if its
>attempted?

Sure!  There is:

Little Snitch
http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/

MacScan
http://macscan.securemac.com/

Internet Cleanup
http://www.aladdinsys.com/mac/cleanup/

However, there is no spyware for the Mac that can be installed
surreptitiously by a Web site, or via e-mail.  The only spyware that
exists for the Mac requires physical access to install, and knowledge of
one's administrator password.  (And, yes, there are ways around the
password, but not everyone knows them.)

(There is a rare Trojan/Worm for OS X that attempts to install spyware,
but the reports say that it does not do so successfully.)

So, the chances of your encountering spyware on your Mac are just about
zero.  Making anti-spyware software a huge waste of money.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html