[X4U] Aperture as sleazy Apple hardware marketing ploy

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sat Nov 19 06:57:47 PST 2005

Apple has just place an application on their website that tests hardware to
see whether it complies with Aperture specs. It reports whether the program
can be installed on the system running the compatibility checker, and if
not, why not. My dual 1.8 G5 flunks, but it's because of the video card
(replaceable) as does my 1.25 GHz Al PowerBook, but that's because I have
only 512 MB of RAM (easily upgradeable).

I've read posts elsewhere (digital photography review forum) where the
compatibility checker has reported that the program simply will not install
on systems more powerful than ANY current PowerBook; e.g., the mirrored
doors dual G4s with fast dual processors, oodles of RAM, and video cards
LISTED by Apple on the Aperture website meeting that requirement.

The exclusion of quite powerful mirrored doors dual G4s (even the newest
Quad core 2.5 GHz G5s aren't really THAT much faster using Apple's own test
reports) is shameful, assuming there aren't any technical issues.

Jim Robertson