[X4U] Re: CD stuck in Slot drive

Vicki Allwardt vallwardt at mac.com
Mon Nov 21 11:45:42 PST 2005

I recently had this same problem on my G3 iMac, and received good
advice here.  Nothing worked, and it now is holding the mini CD and a
full size CD with double stick tape--we tried everything.  Neither are
"recognized." Not being able to find a reasonably priced replacement, I
found an external CD RW for $2.99 on ebay with a firewire connection
and will use that until one can be found and replaced internally.  My
old G3 has limited value, so didn't want to spend a bunch to replace it
right now.  The external drive works very well, a bit noisy, but at
least it works.
Vicki

>> Unfortunately, the *G5* iMac doesn't have a bezel that flips open.
>> It's slot-loading.
>
> Even though the old iMac DV's were slot loading, they still had a a
> hunk of plastic covering and forming the opening, and an eject hole.
> The trick is being able to see in there and find it (two paperclips
> to hold things open and a kid holding a flashlight).
>
> I've never seen an optical drive without a manual eject hole. Doesn't
> mean they don't exist, I've just never seen (or heard) of one.
>
> -Mike

Vicki Allwardt CDA
www.folkhearts.com
Red Bluff, CA