[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Nov 26 23:09:13 PST 2005

On 11/26/05, John Kiss <john.kiss at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2005, at 7:36 PM, T.L. Miller wrote:
>
>> There's no % key on my calculator, but to me it works quite well.
>>
>> 28.05 + .15 = 28.20
>> 28.05 X .15 = 4.2075
>> 28.05 x 1.15 = 32.2575

You have to be in View->Scientific to see the percent key.

> There is a % key on my calculator. An HP 12C.
>
> 28.05 Enter
> 15 % (intermediate result is 4.2075)
> + (final result is 32.2575)
>
> This works as it should.

Really? The result should be exactly as mentioned before: 28.05 + 0.15 =
28.2, because that's what you entered using RPN: first number (28.05),
enter it, second number (15% = 0.15), operator (sum them). Nowhere in your
scheme did you tell the calculator to take 15% of the first number. If you
got an intermediate result of 4.2075, without any operation, then I'd say
your HP 12C is in error.