[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Sun Nov 27 08:16:44 PST 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 2:09 AM, John Baltutis wrote:

>>> There's no % key on my calculator, but to me it works quite well.
>>>
>>> 28.05 + .15 = 28.20
>>> 28.05 X .15 = 4.2075
>>> 28.05 x 1.15 = 32.2575
>
> You have to be in View->Scientific to see the percent key.
>
>> There is a % key on my calculator. An HP 12C.
>>
>> 28.05 Enter
>> 15 % (intermediate result is 4.2075)
>> + (final result is 32.2575)
>>
>> This works as it should.
>
> Really? The result should be exactly as mentioned before: 28.05 +
> 0.15 =
> 28.2, because that's what you entered using RPN: first number (28.05),
> enter it, second number (15% = 0.15), operator (sum them). Nowhere
> in your
> scheme did you tell the calculator to take 15% of the first number.
> If you
> got an intermediate result of 4.2075, without any operation, then
> I'd say
> your HP 12C is in error.
> _

What! Every financial calculator works as I described above. I also
have an older TI Business Analyst-II and that also gives me the exact
same result as the HP, including the intermediate result. I also
checked this out on a Sharp desktop calculator and guess what, it
gives the same result as the HP. You're saying that both HP, TI and
Sharp are in error and you're right?

The % key on calculators is used for figuring out markups, markdowns,
sale prices etc. Very handy. I don't have to tell the calculator to
take 15% of the first number. It's understood by the internal
electronics when you enter the = key or the + operator. The only time
15% = 0.15 is when the number you're taking 15% of happens to be 1.
15% of anything else is not equal to 0.15.