[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Tue Nov 29 12:55:17 PST 2005

On 29/11/05 3:33 PM, "keith_w" <keith_w at dslextreme.com> wrote:

>> This is exactly how retail markups are calculated. No joke. A 40% markup is
>> actually calculated by multiplying by 1.67
>
> S'cuse me? Multiplying WHAT by 1.67?
> 1.67 times anything is a 67% greater result than the starting number.
> How can it be only 40% greater?
> I guess you have to define "markup." Marked up from *which* price,
> wholesale price, sale price, or retail price?
>
>> Retail business markup percentages are calculated differently from "regular"
>> percentages.
>
> I can see that!

Because:

$100 * 1.67 = $167

And 40% mark down from $167

Is calculated $167 * .6 = $100.20

When you take off 40% it equals $100 and that's the math that business uses

Go ask any retail business owner anywhere and they'll tell you.

For real. Check Google if you want

So don't think for a minute that those great 50-60-70% off "deals" after
Christmas that the retailer might be losing money. They're not.

Cheers

Richard