[X4U] Applecare

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Mon Oct 3 15:49:45 PDT 2005

On 10/3/05 4:00 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:

> I think that Applecare for inexpensive things like a Mini or my $1000
> Powerbook are a complete rip off as they cost a significant fraction
> of the cost of the machine. And in the ~20 years that I've been a Mac
> owner I've never needed to call Apple for support.

$1000 PowerBook? My 17" was $3200 when I bought it; you can be sure I put
AppleCare on it. I travel, and the AppleCare on portables is worldwide; that
would save me a heckuvan ordeal should I have a problem in Paris, for
example.

I had AppleCare on my dual 800 quicksilver G4; it paid for 3 hard disks, a
new CPU, a new power supply, and a new logic board. Not bad for about $250.
Most Apple machines don't have a meltdown, but once in a while one does; I
was lucky that I had AppleCare to take care of it.

I agree, though, AppleCare on a Mac Mini is kind of funny. :-)

On 10/3/05 3:40 PM, Kunga wrote:

> Yes it is transferable to a new owner.

In the U.S., yes. What about another country, though? The OP was talking
about how much it would cost him in £, not $, so we can't assume what works
in the U.S. works the same way abroad.

On 10/3/05 2:55 PM, Jim Elmore wrote:

> It also gives you 24/7 telephone access for software, OS problems,
> networking, just about anything that Apple does.

Not for the past several years...

Phone support is available from 6A to 6P, Pacific time. There is web chat
support 24/7.

Again, this is for U.S. AppleCare. I have no information for AppleCare
Protection Plans in other countries.

peace,
Linda