[X4U] Re: Trying to Backup my Hard Drive

SeaSoft Systems seasoft at west.net
Thu Oct 6 08:27:30 PDT 2005

.

>So, I hooked up an external drive 100 gb drive that had some 55 gb of
>free space , restarted the g4 from it (also running 10.3.9), launched
>disk utility, selected the menu option to make a disk image from the
>menu, and got the following:
>
>"image / device is too large."
>
>Tried selecting other options but got the same alert.

I had the same problem a while back.

This is a bug introduced in 10.3.9. There was a discussion on
MacFixit or Macintouch, I don't remember which. Google should help
out.

Basically, you're screwed; I don't believe you can make a disk
utility image that size in 10.3.9. (However, 10.3.8 worked fine for
this, evidently.)

Sorry for the bad news,

Richard