[X4U] OS X Speech capabilities question

A. Scott McCulloch mylists at ascottmcculloch.com
Fri Oct 7 08:00:34 PDT 2005

The built-in speech capabilities of OS X will not do transcription,
but iListen will - www.macspeech.com

However, it requires "training" the system to recognize your voice -
so I'm not sure how good it would be for interviews where there are
voices that have not been used for training. Not to mention the fact
that typically, recorded interviews by grad students are not done
with high quality recording equipment, so the voices aren't always
very clear (I know, I'm finishing up my own dissertation).

What I ended up doing was recording all of my interviews on an
Olympus digital recorder and then emailing the DSS audio files to a
transcriptionist who then emailed back the interviews in Word format
a few days later.

Scott