[X4U] Can't see FreeBSD server in Network

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Mon Oct 17 13:30:33 PDT 2005

On Oct 17, 2005, at 7:50 AM, Charles Howse wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD machine on the same subnet, named "moe" (no domain
> name), with NFS enabled. I can connect to the FreeBSD machine's
> share by using "Connect to Server", but the machine doesn't show up
> in the Network pane of Finder.
>
> Is this an issue with the Mac or the FreeBSD machine? How can I
> make the FreeBSD machine show up in Finder?

If what you're saying is that you can connect to the BSD machine by
entering an explicit address (nfs://......), but not by browsing it's
probably because the BSD machine is not advertising it shares via
Zeroconf (Formerly Rendezvous, now Bonjour in Apple speak). Howl
seems to be the most commonly mentioned non-Apple implementation of
Zeroconf and it explicitly supports FreeBSD.

Howl: <http://www.porchdogsoft.com/products/howl/>

  For the curious related/competing protocols are: SLP (Service
Location Protocol) and UPnP (Universal Plug and Play).

Phil