[X4U] Network locations question

Paul pwblackb at uc.cl
Fri Oct 21 16:02:08 PDT 2005

On 19 Oct 2005, at 21:45, Paul wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2005, at 17:40, John Baltutis wrote:
>

>> On 10/19/05, Paul <pwblackb at uc.cl> wrote:
>>

>>> The problem is that I am not allowed to set my iBook's name in the
>>> Sharing pane as I want it: kasumi.local instead of kasumi-2.local,
>>> which I am forced to do, since the prefs pane tells me that there is
>>> another computer using the name kasumi.local on the network. What
>>> might I be missing here? The eMac is obviously not called kasumi.

Update: Upong trying to ping kasumi.local in Terminal, I get

kasumi-2:~ durandal$ ping kasumi.local
PING kasumi.local (146.155.46.233): 56 data bytes

That IP is the one assigned to it when at university, in the other
network Location setting.

In other words, my iBook thinks that there is a "kasumi.local"
somewhere on the network, despite the fact that this so-called
'kasumi.local' was itself when it had another IP assigned. Does this
sound reasonable?

Paul