[X4U] Consumer Reports

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Sep 9 00:59:17 PDT 2005

David Flory said:

>Again I wonder why people swallow Microsoft's propaganda that you
>have to have Word to work with Word documents.

I'd be surprised if any Mac user uses Word just because Microsoft tells
them that they should!  8-{D

>There are several
>pieces of software that handle Word doc just fine.

"Just fine" is a matter of perspective.  It's been a while, but I tested
all of the Mac word processors available on the market.  If you exchange
Word documents with any complex formatting at all in them, using anything
but Word means that you will often be very disappointed by how poor the
document looks when you open it.

I haven't tested the latest versions of AbiWord and NeoOffice-J, both of
which use the same Word translators.  I understand that the translator
for these word processors has been improved, but I would still be
surprised to find that it has been improved to the point where having
Word available to open Word format files is entirely unnecessary.

In any case, speaking only for myself, I don't use Word simply because it
is good at opening Word files.  I use Word because it is currently the
only high-end word processor available for the Mac.  With the passing of
WordPerfect/Mac and with Adobe failing to port FrameMaker to OS X, Word
has no competition in its class on the Mac.  Nothing else on the Mac
comes close to Word's capabilities.  (Which is not to denegrate anyone
else's favorite word processor.  It's just that none of them are high-end
products in the same class as Word.  But if something else meets your
personal needs and you are happy with it, that's great.)

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html