[X4U] Consumer Reports-Word use

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Fri Sep 9 12:20:34 PDT 2005

Randy B.Singer wrote:

> keith_w said:
>

>>>Right, MS Office is the big advantage Mac offers over Linux.  Linux has
>>>great security, but not MS Office.
>>
>>Please elaborate. I don't understand those two sentences.
>>Taken together,  they seem to contradict each other...
>

> He is saying that there is a version of MS Office for the Macintosh, but
> there isn't a version of MS Office for Linux.
>
> Though I understand that there are work-arounds to get Office to run
> under Linux.
>
> However, I don't necessarily agree that MS Office is OS X's biggest
> advantage over Linux.  For one thing, OS X has a huge library of
> applications that Linux can't come close to matching.
>

> Randy B. Singer

Okay, I can see the amgiguity built into the way the sentence is
constructed.
The words "Linux has great security, but not MS Office," seems to imply
that MS Office doesen't offer great security...
Instead, according to you, he was saying LInux doesn't have access to MS
Office, while the Mac does have access to it...

Okay. Sometimes one feels like a world class pedant, but English is
capable of so many permuatations, if you really want to be understood
without any possible ambiguity, you have to sometimes add words and
phrases that makes it sound awkward!

Thanks,

keith