[X4U] Apple's "Mighty Mouse" - Am I the only one seeing problems?

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Fri Sep 16 01:47:01 PDT 2005

On 16 Sep 2005, at 02:55, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> At 8:32 AM +0100 9/15/05, Simon Forster wrote:
>
>> On 15 Sep 2005, at 04:00, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting, this sounds a lot like what my wife told me about on
>>> the phone yesterday.  I'm using an IBM optical 3-button USB mouse
>>> (rebranded Logitech I believe), with the middle button also being
>>> a scroll wheel.  The computer wouldn't take *any* mouse input.
>>> This is under 10.3.9 on a G5 2x2, and I've never seen anything
>>> like this.  I told her to reboot, and after she did, the system
>>> was fine.  The keyboard (an Apple Extended II ADB keyboard
>>> plugged into ADB-to-USB converter) was still working.
>>
>> Same symptoms, different mouse and OS. Not the data points I wanted!
>
> Oh, it gets stranger, last night, I was using X-Windows, and the
> middle mouse conked out.  Plus somehow my xterms were getting
> dragged around popping to different parts of the screen.  The
> dragging/popping part stopped when I quit out of X-Windows and
> restarted it, but I still couldn't use the middle button.
> Restarting the computer fixed it.  I found it really disturbing.

So we can agree that Apple's OS (10.3.9 in your case, 10.4.3 in mine)
is mouse sensitive ;-)

I've have no problems with Apple's (standard) mouse and I have a
Logitech "Premium Optical Wheel Mouse" which works fine too. However,
Apple's "Mighty Mouse" has been consigned to a drawer because my
machine is just too unstable when using it.

OK. To be more precise, the UI becomes too unstable. The underlying
OS appears to be fine.

Simon Forster
  LDML Ltd, 62 Pall Mall, London, SW1Y 5HZ, UK
  Tel: +44 (0)70 9230 5244   Fax: +44 (0)70 9230 5247