[X4U] Problems installing Epson DX3850 scanner/printer

Peter James pfjames at clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 02:36:25 PDT 2005

I purchased an Epson DX3850 scanner/printer/copier and attempted to
install it.  But without success.  It would appear that I have
purchased a Windows only device.
However, OS X recognises the  device and allows me to copy and print
using a "generic gimp" printer driver.   Printing is very slow.
I did find an Epson web site that says that this printer can be
installed on a Mac using "the Epson Postscript package", and that
care must be taken not to install a "gimp" driver.  I  can find no
mention of this package on the CD's that came with the printer, and a
search of the Internet comes up with Postscript packages costing up
to $90.  I can't afford this.
I did find, using "Spotlight"  mention of an Epson Driver Package on
the HD at /Library/Receipts but I can not install it.  The package
reports an error on trying to install.
I can't take the printer back to my supplier, as I've installed the
ink reservoirs and printed a few documents, so the machine is
obviously second hand now.
Can anyone help me.  I thought that maybe the  "gurus"  on this list
might be able to help.  Thanks.