[X4U] Can I use automator to synchronize Entourage G5<->PowerBook

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Sep 25 07:55:15 PDT 2005

I use Synchronize Pro! X to transfer my Entourage database (Office 2004,
11.2.0) back and fourth between my Dual 1.8 GHz G5 minitower and my 1.25 GHz
15" Al-PB (both running OS X 10.4.2). Currently, I check manually to make
certain that the Microsoft database daemon isn't running on either machine
before doing the synchronization routine; if it is (on either machine), the
synchronization program will recognize the database as changed on BOTH
machines. I have two questions:

1. Does opening ANOTHER Microsoft Office application (not Entourage 2004)
launch the daemon or change the Main Identity database? I ask this because
sometimes when I run my synchronization, Synchronize Pro! X will report that
the database has been changed on the "target" Mac even though I'm certain
I've not run Entourage on it since the last synchronization.

2. Is it likely that I could develop an Automator routine that would
accomplish the following workflow:

A. check to see whether I've mounted my PowerBook user on my dual G5, and if
not, do so and enter the password.

B. check to see whether the database daemon is running on EITHER the dual G5
or the PowerBook, and if so, quit from it.

C. Launch Synchronize! Pro X by opening my scripted synchronization file.

D. Run the synchronization routine.

E. Reopen the database daemons (a better alternative might be to set them to
be active whenever I use Entourage on either machine).

I have NO experience with scripting (beyond installing and running other
people's scripts), but if I could automate the database daemon thing it
would make use of the Entourage calendar MUCH better for me.

Thanks so much in advance for any opinions/suggestions.

Jim Robertson