[X4U] laptop internet connect

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Sep 29 05:30:54 PDT 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 12:27 pm, Cindy Moore wrote:

> As for the internet...
> She is not wireless and her parents do not have a wireless or
> broadband network. It's a dialup. I've set the PC to share the
> internet. When I plug in MY G4  (Tiger) laptop to the PC via ethernet
> cable, I can access the internet through the PC  modem. When I do this
> with the G3 laptop, nothing happens. Does anyone have any suggestions
> on what to do to connect. On the G4 laptop I just set the network to
> connect via ethernet and there it was.

Just copy the network settings for the Ethernet interface from you
laptop to that on hers. If it's Windows XP that's doing the sharing
you'll probably find they're something like this:

IP Address: 192.168.0.42  (last figure doesn't matter, as long as it's
not 1)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

Not sure about DNS servers - try 192.168.0.1 or run `nslookup
foobar.com` and copy the server IP across to the laptop.

> Does anyone know where the msn account information is?

You don't need that at all. The PC does all the dial-up &
authentication stuff, the Mac just sees an Ethernet network with a
gateway.

Stroller.