[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Apr 6 02:25:19 PDT 2006

On 6 Apr 2006, at 04:51, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 8:26 PM -0500, 4/5/06, Robert Nicholson wrote:
>
>> What is protected about running Windows native on the same drive
>> as OSX? Surely a virus on Windows is not restricted to writing to
>> the windows partition.
>
> For the same reason that the Mac can not write to an NTFS partition
> (the standard format of a Windows XP drive), the Windows OS will
> not be able to write to the Mac partition (unless someone is going
> beyond what Apple is providing.)

Actually, a Mac can write to an NTFS partition. It just can't write
anything USEFUL.

If you put some data on an NTFS-formatted drive and connect it to
your Mac (external USB / firewire drive, SATA or EIDE drive if you
have a PowerMac) and type `dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/disk2` (you may
need to change the "of=" bit to suit your configuration) you will see
how easy it is to write destructively to NTFS-formatted partitions.

Viruses that overwrite the boot-partition and make the machine
unbootable are old hat - there probably aren't many for Windows as it
was a common action of DOS viruses, and it has gone out of fashion as
an unbootable machine isn't a great vector for continued propagation
of the virus. But such a hypothetical virus would probably be quite
easy for an experienced virus-writer to create. The question is:
would one really want to target the dual-booting fraction of the less
than 1% of computer users running Macs.

> But more importantly, it must be recognised that just having a
> Windows OS will very much make the user susceptible to every
> Windows virus and spyware product that exists. Thus, that user will
> likely have a virus on their computer within 10 minutes of having
> installed the OS and connecting to the Internet unless they have
> proper anti-virus software. This is just the reality of the Windows
> world.

Yes, yes, you're a Mac zealot. Very nice.
I think we all prefer Macs around here so is it really necessary make
this point?

Stroller.