[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 6 11:24:38 PDT 2006

At 12:30 PM -0400 4/6/06, Richard Gilmore wrote:
>  > Another reason for buying Windows to put on a Mac should be obvious, games.
>>  The downside of this, is that I expect this to pretty much kill the Mac
>>  games market.  Don't be surprised if in the next 6-12 months there aren't
>>  any new Mac games coming out.
>>
>  > Zane

>This would really suck.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I really think this will be the way
things will play out.  Take a look at the Linux games market.  There
was a company making ports (I even bought Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
for Linux), but they couldn't make a go of it.

Although one interesting possibility might be the fact that WINE lets
some Windows games run on Linux.  I don't know if something like WINE
can be made to work on Mac OS X.

One thing that will hopefully help keep the Mac game market alive for
a bit longer is the fact that none of this will work to let those of
us with PPC machines.

		Zane