[X4U] OT windows on imac

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Apr 12 07:21:57 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 05:08:07AM CDT, Mitchell Senft <ms53 at optonline.net> wrote:
:
: I work in Windows during the day but it's a box at work i.e, I'm not
: responsible for it so my knowledge of >maintaining< a Win-box is
: minimal. Know just about enough to be scared and intimidated.
:
: Now I'm thinking of loading Win onto my daughter's Intel iMac for
: those very rare occasions when we need a Windows box around the
: house, God forbid a game for my daughter and maybe to putz around
: with the dual-boot.
:
: The iMac will be on the home wireless network.
:
: So the questions are: In that limited use, how concerned do I have to
: be? Do I have to worry overmuch about viruses? And what about these
: Windows updates? Do I have to keep current downloading what seems to
: be weekly updates and patches and, well, crap? Or if I keep her off
: the web through Windows, do I really have to worry?

Yes, with a Windoze box, you always have to be concerned.

Yes, you must have anti-virus software installed and running at all
times and also have some firewall (built-in or 3rd-party) enabled.

Yes, you must keep up with every crappy Windoze update.  :-)

No, you can browse the web in "relative" safety by using a 3rd-party
browser like Firefox, but you must avoid M$IE at all costs.

If you want us to help you really secure a Windoze box, we need more
details about the tasks that you want to do with Windoze.  Will it
be mostly web browsing?  How about email?  Any instant messenging?
Games?  MMORPGs?

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/