[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 20:33:26 PDT 2006

On 4/7/06, Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:
> On 4/6/06 8:08 PM, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:
>
> > XP Pro has additional features that make it a worthy OS over the Home version.

IMO, XP Pro's only real useful feature is Remote Desktop, which
actually works really well.

Google on "xp home vs pro" for some good write ups on the differences:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

> Any idea whether once one installs XP Home on an Intel Mac, that OS can be
> upgraded to XP Pro?

Only buy purchasing XP Pro.

> Thanks again for all the help. I'm curious about the reports saying that
> Parallels is so speedy. Could that be because it doesn't enable some things
> and therefore can't waste time keeping track of them?

My understanding is that it uses the other processor in the dual core.
 Since few apps are using dual cores, there's plenty of processing
power.

There are a lot of pages out there about optimizing XP.  The default
eye candy does really slow it down.  There are several steps to turn
stuff off that you can find under "optimize xp" in Google.