[X4U] Re: Parallels vs. Boot Camp

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Mon Apr 24 00:24:36 PDT 2006

Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:

>On 4/22/06 12:05 PM, "PoolMouse" <poolmouse_nyc at mac.com> wrote:
>
>>  boot camp is worthless for users who need to run windows
>>  applications.
>
>Why is that? Suddenly I can sync my Pocket PC, which NEVER worked reliably
>with VPC, and didn't work at ALL with Windows Mobile 5 devices. So, I think
>saying it's "worthless" is a bit strong. Parallels is worthless for the same
>task, because there's no USB 2.0
>
>Jim Robertson

hi jim,

sorry, i posted a clarification...boot camp is great if you have time
to boot into windows. our users can't afford the downtime. sorry for
the doofy post...we just went through a server meltdown
(parent-supplied dell fileserver croaked and we put in 48 hours in a
failed attemt to rebuild the server without losing the raid
data...needed to rebuild then restore 1.6tb...catching up on sleep
now).

boot camp is great...but i meant to say that it's useless if you're
trying to get work done and need to "switch" to windows to run an
application. parallels is maturing (kernel panics are a fraction of
what they were with the earlier betas). openvms guys can vouch for
the impact virtualization will have on the market - once it matures,
it'll give sysadmins a solid reason for sticking to mac hardware.

ps, if rumors are true, apple will include windows api on 10.5 so we
won't need windows at all...imagine, no windows to support! :):):)

don
--

don montalvo, nyc
curmudgeon at large