[X4U] Bigger drive, less space?

Bill White billwhite at mac.com
Wed Aug 16 07:35:35 PDT 2006

My five month old MacBook Pro had its battery explode and its logic board
die, and the day after it came back from Apple its hard drive failed.
Fortunately the local Apple Store felt my pain and ended up giving me a
brand new machine in its place. Kudos to Apple for that!

Here's the odd thing, though: my old machine had an 80 gig drive and I had
roughly 11-12 gigs of free space. The new machine has a 100 gig drive, and
when I restored all of my stuff on to it from a backup, I expected to have
roughly 30 gigs of free space...but...I have 9.5! That's *less* free space
than I had on the older, smaller drive. Hmmm.

I've run WhatSize and looked for some obvious clues, but nothing is standing
out. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Bill