[X4U] Do you REALLY need matching memory in a Mini?

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Fri Aug 25 06:02:44 PDT 2006

I don't think it is much of an issue (if any at all) to have
_identical_ RAM modules in the two slots. That used to be for
"interleaving", and some machines still gain an extra 10-20% from that.

But if I understood a test result correctly, then it makes a big
difference if one slot is unused, because the two slots are accessed
in parallel. If you use only one slot then you effectively cut the
bandwidth between your CPU and your RAM in half.

The bandwidth of your front side bus is especially critical, because
the graphics chip shares memory with the CPU in the Mac Mini.

Björn