[X4U] iTunes authorization

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Mon Dec 4 03:22:43 PST 2006

On 4 Dec 2006, at 11:08, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

>> Actually, no. It's simply that I tend to use the move from one
>> machine to another (or a hard drive upgrade) as an excuse to do
>> some spring cleaning. I copy across the stuff I need and then make
>> some form of archive copy of the old data so that if I need
>> something in the future, I can go get it. But think garage
>> storage. After you've not needed something for a few months -
>> maybe a year - it's chucked in the garage. A couple of years down
>> the line, you know it's in the garage but there's got to be a
>> pretty compelling reason to go dig it out. (Compressed disk
>> archives on DVDs anyone?)
>
> I would think you would copy your home folder, which is where your
> iTunes music files are stored...

Yep. But my home folder can get quite large, so I tend to be quite
brutal when it comes to the spring cleaning. If the tracks are
unavailable to me (a flawed assumption - as Mitchell has brought to
my attention), why keep 'em?

>> Now tell me, why do I want to use the iTunes store?
>
> You obviously don't. :-)

And there sir, you're absolutely correct. I fail to see the
compelling argument for using iTunes store. The DRM content and
opaque authorisation management tools put the final nail in a service
which has convenience as its core proposition.

YMMV of course.

Simon Forster