[X4U] iTunes - Cleaning / Consolidating The Library

revDAVE coolcat at hosting4days.com
Mon Dec 11 07:22:42 PST 2006

On 12/11/2006 6:51 AM, "Matt Gregory" <vdub.grego at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I understand what you want to do.  But your second step should be
> unnecessary.  You can just close (quit) iTunes, delete the iTunes xml and
> database files (not the library folder itself), open iTunes and it'll be
> squeaky clean.  If you want to change any settings about how iTunes handles
> your library (like where it resides, etc) do it now.  Then you should have
> your media files still in their original locations and you can use "Add to
> Library" (cmd-O I think) to add them back.  If they are already in their
> correct locations iTunes shouldn't make any duplicates of anything (unless you
> changed a setting).  Of course it's a good idea to back up all your media and
> the library and xml files first so you'll be able to undo everything and you
> can play around until you get what you want.
>
> hth,
>
> matt.

Thanks Matt,

 I tried using 'add to library' however it seems to function just like
dragging things into the main window.  The problem here is that I DO want
iTunes to manage everything - and " keep things organized ".  Without using
the 'copy to iTunes music' folder check box when importing - then things
like deleting songs later from the iTunes window don't seem to work.

So - currently is seems as though there is no easy way to do this...

--
Thanks - RevDave
CoolCat at hosting4days.com
[db-lists]