[X4U] Slow copying from thumb drive

Bob Aldridge aldridgebob63 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 30 20:29:43 PST 2006

Fellow Mac users,

I ran across a situation I¹d never seen before and thought I¹d ask the list
if they had seen it.

I¹ve converted about half our church office over to Mac¹s. Naturally I¹ve
been touting the Mac¹s virtues over the PC. Our minister purchased a SONY
thumb drive to use between his Mac at his office and PC at home.

PROBLEM: When copying files from the Mac to the thumb it was extremely slow,
too slow for normal use. I tried re-formatting the thumb drive on the Mac
and a nearby PC and the problem still existed. It is a USB 2.0 drive.
Formatted it for PC DOS (under the Mac). If I take it to a PC and format it
and copy files it works fine.

iMac 1.83 GHz first gen Intel

Sony Thumb drive (don¹t know the model).

Anyone else run across this? I was at a loss to figure it out.

--Bob Aldridge
Huntsville, AL