[X4U] hidden files

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 4 20:21:18 PST 2006

On 5 Feb 2006, at 03:54, mactechlists at cox.net wrote:

> Does anyone know of an application that will let me see hidden
> files to make them visable? A friend deleted the .DS_Store file
> from a jump drive. It will no longer let him delete anything from
> the drive. We tried to put the .DS_Store file back, but we got an
> error message saying a hidden file by that name already exists.

I'm pretty sure the .DS_Store file is a Clupea Rubra to being unable
to delete anything from the drive. I delete .DS_Store files all the
time, as they're annoying when browsing the drive in Windows, and I'm
pretty sure all they do is save the Finder window state (ie, the
"last view") of the directory.

Could it be that you're unable to delete anything from the drive
because its been used both in Windows & MacOS and consequently is
full up with Recycler & .Trashes files? Could it be there's
insufficient space to copy the file to the <icon of a wastepaper
basket> before deleting it?

In the first instance I'd look seriously into why you can't reformat
the drive - this is the most serious problem. Copy the data of first,
of course! If it REALLY won't format then I'd suggest the drive is
knackered, Can you explain what steps you're trying in Disk Utility,
please? Is it possible this is one of those rare drives with a switch
to lock the drive against writing?

Stroller.