[X4U] itunes & g4 question

Joe Block jpb at apesseekingknowledge.net
Tue Feb 7 20:28:45 PST 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 2:01 PM, alexandre wrote:

> i would like to migrate my itunes library (~30gb and growing) from
> my albook to a g4 tower and share it from there. i will then log in
> from my powerbook and stream it to my hifi system.
>
> do any of you have any experience with this kind of set-up?
> is streaming going to be smooth as it is now?
> what kind of g4 tower should i get? is a 450mhz enough? obviously,
> the faster the better, but i'm on budget…
> any tips?

I would recommend that you put the iTunes on a tower and turn on
Apple Remote Desktop in the Sharing preference pane, then stream
directly from the tower. If you don't have the Apple Remote Desktop
application, you can set it to allow control with VNC and use Chicken
of the VNC or another VNC client to remote control the tower.

I expect streaming directly from the tower will work better than
mounting the drive remotely and streaming from your laptop, if only
because it eliminates the CPU load of compressing and sending the audio.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb at ApesSeekingKnowledge.net>

A faith that cannot survive a collision with the truth is not worth
many regrets.
  - Arthur C. Clarke