[X4U] Re: Mac Trojan?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Feb 17 02:05:00 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:57:54PM CST, Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:
: On 2/16/06 8:56 PM, Lists <lists at tntluoma.com> wrote:
: > On Feb 16, 2006, at 4:19 AM, Richard Gilmore wrote:
: >
: >> Are PPC viruses a threat to the Intel Macs? I'm assuming they'll
: >> have to be recompiled?
: >
: > If there were real viruses for Mac, they'd run under Rosetta, I'd
: > imagine.
:
: There IS now a real virus for OS X but I don't know if it is a Universal
: binary. Since it involves iChat, I presume like you said that it would
: affect the Intel Macs due to Rosetta.
:
: > However, it would be nice if folks took the opportunity to learn the
: > difference between a Virus and a Trojan.  People use them as
: > interchangeable, but they are really two different-but-sometimes-
: > overlapping things.
:
: A virus self-replicates, which is what this newly-discovered one does.

It's not really a virus.  It's more a trojan horse that depends
on gullible users.  What kind of stupid virus asks the stupid
user to enter the user's stupid password?

: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060217/tc_nm/apple_virus_dc

> > > "The worm will not automatically infect Mac computers, but
> > > will ask users to accept the file, Weafer said."

OSX/Leap-A is most likely a proof-of-concept malware.  There's
nothing in Sophos' announcements that it was found in the wild.
Stupid stupid stupid.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/