[X4U] Apple dumping OSX....

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Feb 17 11:54:48 PST 2006

> On 2/17/06 12:55 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
> > Plus consider this, there aren't any Intel based Professional Mac's,
> > only laptops and iMac's.
>
> Ah, but the "laptops" coming are called MacBook Pro -- hint, "Pro" --
> replacing PowerBooks... as a graphics professional, I can say that many of
> us use PowerBooks as "professional Macs". :)
>
> peace,
> Linda

Good point :^)

At the same time, how many Graphics Professionals work on PowerBooks vs. G5
Towers?  Time is money, and I would have thought that the tower is the only
way to go.

I have to admit, I don't have a good feel for what Professionals need from
their Mac's.  I have G5 2x2 for a couple of reasons.  One is expandibility
(which I'm realizeing is no longer that valid), and the other is I figure
I'll be able to make it last at least four years (I've already had it
for over two).

Actually there is one other reason I have a Tower, and that's the amount of
RAM I can stuff in it.  I'm sitting at 3.5GB, and still feel the need for a
little more RAM.  I think I'd feel very cramped in the amount of RAM you can
put in a MacBook Pro, or iMac.  This might even have something to do with
Adobe's decission to wait a while on the Intel port.

		Zane