[X4U] Web browser copying of formatted data/tables to spreadsheet cells?

Jon Marett jmarett at mac.com
Tue Feb 28 20:25:57 PST 2006

On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:12 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> I've run into a problem, and I'm not sure which of multiple factors
> may be responsible.
>
> I bought a new Core Duo iMac.  Around the same time, I know that my
> credit card company  (Chase) changed their website access page.
>
> I typically would log into the site, select all of my credit card
> transactions in the table they provided, and pasted it into
> AppleWorks without any fuss.  IF I used Internet Explorer.  Safari
> would always paste all of the information in a single column,
> instead of into the individual cells of the spreadsheet, which I
> wanted.   I could always fire up Internet Explorer on my PPC iMac,
> and it would allow me to copy the data while preserving the (TAB?)
> delimited nature of the table.
>
> Now, when I launch Explorer under Rosetta, I can't seem to click-
> drag-to-select and then copy the data.  I've tried several other
> browsers (opera under Rosetta, omniweb, firefox under rosetta) but
> all of them screw with the formatting when i paste into the
> spreadsheet.
>
> I seem to remember a discussion about something like this
> before...any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Michael

I support 'the dark side' at work and recently discovered that right-
clicking on any tabular data in IE 6 (in WinXP sp2) gives a menu
option to 'Export to MS Excel 2003'. Does this feature exist in the
latest Mac version of Office?

jon

"...the future is an infinite succession of 'presents,' and to live
now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is
bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."
-Howard Zinn