[X4U] Re: Faxing in OSX

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Tue Jan 3 19:33:30 PST 2006

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 03:50:58 -0500 "Mitchell Senft" <ms53 at optonline.net>
wrote:
> We have a cable modem plugged into an Airport Express box. The Mac
> (10.4.3) can just fax out that easily? And if I'm missing something,
> what?

Fax is an analog service that sends and receives tones over the voice
telephone network. You can provide the voice telephone network
connection with either a traditional 2 or 4 wire flat cable from the
wall, or with a Bluetooth cell phone.

With the telephone line, it has to be plugged into an RJ11 jack on a
modem. If your computer has an internal modem, just plug the
telephone line into the computer's RJ11 jack. If you have to (or want
to) use an external modem (not a cable or DSL modem), you plug the
telephone line into the modem's RJ11 jack and then plug the modem
into the computer's USB port (usually).

Note that the RJ11 jack is similar to the RJ45 jack, but RJ11 is
smaller (4 wire) for telephone cable, and the RJ45 is 8 wire for
Ethernet. And if you're using DSL, the line into the RJ11 has to be
filtered like a voice telephone line.

You also have to have the Fax pane of Print & Fax prefs set
correctly. To set up the modem, click Set Up Fax Modem. (That's also
where you can set up a Bluetooth modem, if that's your config.)

My experience is North America. Telephone connections elsewhere may
be different.