[X4U] Hard drive or hard drive controller gone (mirrored doors G4)

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Mon Jan 9 20:52:53 PST 2006

On 1/9/06 4:59 PM, "Daly Jessup" <jessup at san.rr.com> wrote:

> I assume everyone is aware that Hitachi some time ago bought IBM's
> hard drive business. All DeskStars have been from Hitachi for at
> least a year. There ARE no IBM drives any more.

I have (make that HAD) two IBM Deskstars inside this 1 GHz mirrored doors
box (one assembled in Hungary, one in Taiwan. The Hungarian drive is the one
that's failed. Today I replaced it with a Seagate 300 GB 7200 rpm drive, and
it seems all the problems are gone (except for the loss of the data on the
drive, which I did try to erase in case it was a software issue. Apparently
it wasn't, despite the absence of clicks and scrapes from the drive
mechanism.

Thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions.

Jim Robertson