[X4U] Re: What is mds?

kp phlbrck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 08:32:56 PST 2006

After installing 10.4.4 I started running 100% CPU and all memory was occupied after about 10 minutes leaving nothing but page/outs. According to Activity Monitor the culprit is "mds" and I seem unable to locate any info on what this is, let alone how to fix.

This is a G3 iMac/600, 80G (20G free space), 768MB unit.

I have disabled all login items, run AppleJack AUTO, DiskWarrior, and reinstalled the updater as well as the combo 10.4.4 updater. No joy.

Any ideas will certainly be welcome. I am on digest, so if anyone knows the magic solution please cc me.

Ken Philbrick